Friday, January 15, 2016

Random questions and a 50k

I was thinking about my last post and realized that if I want my readers to know the real me I should come up with some questions to make it easier for them. So here are some questions (mostly dog and running related) I thought you might like to know about me.
1. When did you start running?
I started running when I was around 14. I hated running when I started but I wanted an excuse to eat junk food so in my 14 year old mind that was perfect. After that I was hooked and now run because I actually like it (and maybe a little because I love food).

2. Have you always liked dogs as much as you do now?
Did you notice I love dogs? As early as I can remember I’ve had a passion for dogs. My aunt had a Scottish Terrier when I was growing up and that dog started my obsession. I begged my Dad for a dog for years and he finally gave in when I was 14. Now I see why he was so opposed to the idea, I feel like even at 14 I wasn’t truly ready for the responsibility but I believe the bond I have with Hershey is so strong because I was so young. In a way, we grew up and learned together.

3.  What is the longest race you’ve run?
I did two marathons in 2014, so 26.2. I just signed up for a 50k though (stay tuned to hear more).

4. What is your favorite breed of dog?
This is a tough question for me. I don’t think I have one specific favorite breed. I work at a dog daycare and am always finding new breeds to love. I do have a list of favorites though. Obviously Vizslas, Pitbulls, French Bulldogs, German Shepherds, and Corgis are all on my list. As I was typing I kept coming up with more so I figured I should stop at five or the list would go on forever. There’s a Yorkshire terrier at work that is stinkin’ adorable though. Ok I’m done.

5.  What is your favorite thing about running?
Hmmm… another hard one for me. There is so much I love about it. I guess my favorite thing about it is that it lets me escape for a bit. Sometimes life is so hectic that I am so grateful for a run, even if it’s just for 30 minutes, it lets me escape and just focus on me, the awesome scenery and Hershey. I also love it because I can enjoy it with Hershey and it makes him happy. I also like the challenge of running, when I was younger I was on the heavier side, not obese but a little overweight. My friends were always skinnier, prettier, and better than me in my eyes. Running gives me the feeling that I can be those things too. When a run starts to get hard it takes me back to the feelings I had when I couldn’t keep up with my friends and it makes me push even harder.

6. Any dog breeds you don’t like?
I think all dogs are awesome but I’m not a huge fan of poodles or other curly coated breeds. Sorry to any of you who own or love poodles.

7.  What is your favorite activity besides running?
Probably hiking, pretty closely related to running but I like it because I can take my time and just enjoy the scenery. I’ve done one backpacking trip without Hershey and I’m hoping to do more and be able to include him in them because I know he’ll love it.

8. If you were to get a second dog what breed would you get?
I would definitely get a rescue dog. I’m not sure of the breed yet, nothing too small but whatever stands out to me. I worked at a Humane Society for a year so I don’t think I could go another route now when it comes to getting a dog. It’s just sad to see how many need loving homes.

So that’s me. If you have more questions for me feel free to let me know. 

I did something crazy the other day. I signed up for a 50k. 31 miles! (I read somewhere that the race I signed up for is actually 32 but I don’t know if that’s true) It hasn’t really hit me yet but I’m sure it will once I start training. I didn’t really think it through because the race I wanted to do has a limit to the amount of people they let race and I didn’t want to miss my chance. More on this soon to come…
Have a great rest of your day. A random picture to leave you with. He doesn't really understand the game of fetch. 


Anyone ever do a 50k?

Anyone have a dog? What breed(s)?

2 comments:

  1. I've also run two marathons but never a 50k. I actually went down in race distance and am favoring 5ks right now. I know a lot of people love 50ks and I've spectated and volunteered at a few. They do seem much more laid back and casual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info Hollie. I've never even spectated a 50k so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm a little nervous so I'm glad you say they seem to be more laid back.

    ReplyDelete