Saturday, August 1, 2015

Dogs As Exercise Partners


It’s been so long since my last post. Sorry, summer is a pretty busy time, as I’m sure it is for all of you.
I’ve been thinking a lot about how different my fitness would be if I didn’t have Hershey. I think I would still run, but I don’t think I would enjoy it quite as much. So I put a list together of all the great things about having dogs as exercise/running partners.



Why dogs make great running/fitness companions:


     1.   Motivation- Nothing motivates me more than thinking about how Hershey will benefit from a run. Even if I really don’t feel like running one day Hershey gives me that needed push because I know he will be miserable if he doesn’t get out, and that’s the last thing I want.

     2. (Silent) Companionship- Running with friends is great; knowing that someone is waiting on you gives you a push to get out of bed and go run. However, there are times when you just need a good solo run, some time to think and not worry about anyone else. I don’t know about you guys, but if I’m in a bad mood starting a run, I’d rather be alone so I don’t ruin anyone else’s day. Running with Hershey on those days though puts me in a little better mood, because I know he is there, loyally running by my side.

   3.  Safety- Especially as a girl, I feel a lot safer running with Hershey by my side. This is more for when I’m running on an unfamiliar trail but I love knowing that having a dog gives me a good level of protection.

    4. They make you look good- No matter how bad I look or think I look on the trail I know Hershey always looks adorable. Whenever I run with Hershey I always get smiles from people passing me no matter how bad of a hair/face day I’m having. (Or maybe they just feel bad for the crazy looking, wild haired girl trying to run and feel it’s best to smile :-P)
       
   5.   Accomplishment- Seeing Hershey tiered at the end of a run makes me feel like I accomplished more than just running. A tiered dog is a happy dog and having a tiered Vizsla is definitely an accomplishment!
      So there you have it, some great advantages to exercising with your dog. I don’t take Hershey on all of my runs but for the majority I do. Sometimes it is nice not to have to worry about holding a leash but then when I get back he’s jealous ;-).
      
      Doesn't this face just make you want to run?
       


      
     For those of you with dogs,
What kind of dog do you have?

Do you run with your dog?  How often?

No comments:

Post a Comment